- March 4, 2016
- Posted by: FGI Alert Group
- Category: Firm News, Immigration Alerts, Switzerland
The quota for L permits for the first quarter of 2016, for short-term assignees from European Union (EU) / European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA) countries, has been filled.
Who is Affected?
New, incoming EU/EFTA nationals who are assigned to Switzerland but remain on foreign employment contracts will not be issued L permits until April 1, 2016.
Who is Not Affected?
The quota for B permits, and permits not subject to quotas, such as the 120 day permit and the 4 month short term permit, are not affected. Quotas for non-EU/EFTA nationals are also not affected.
The cantonal procedures in dealing with the situation vary:
- Zurich: The authorities will grant permit approval for one month for the time being. One can then ask for an L permit for the duration after expiration of that month and should be able to join the applications which fall under the next quarter, from April 1, 2016 onwards.
- Basel: The authorities will establish a preliminary decision which will allow assignees to start work. The quota will be issued on April 1, 2016.
- Aargau: The authorities will establish a preliminary decision which will allow assignees to start work. The quota will be issued on April 1, 2016.
- Vaud: The authorities point towards the online registration system if available or the postponement of the start of work.
- All other cantons: Still under investigation.
The Swiss government decided to keep the reduced amount of permit quota for the year 2016. The quotas are allocated to the cantons on a quarterly basis.