- March 18, 2016
- Posted by: FGI Alert Group
- Category: Belgium, Firm News, Immigration Alerts
Companies in the information technology (IT) industry have been increasingly subjected to intensified inspections conducted by the labor inspectorate. These inspections have been primarily focused on companies who may have replaced local employees by hiring foreign workers particularly Indian nationals. The labor inspectorate can either conduct announced or unannounced visits so it is imperative that IT companies anticipate the possibility of inspections and retain all appropriate documentation on file as a precaution. Companies should also anticipate the stricter examination of work permit applications specifically those for Indian nationals.
Labor inspectors may likely verify the following information:
- Foreign workers’ valid immigration documents;
- Foreign workers’ are performing highly-skilled work as stated in their contract;
- Local workers are not being replaced by foreign nationals; and
- Salaries for foreign workers meet the minimum wage requirements.